Amy Winehouse death: reactions so far

Amy Winehouse's death at the age of 27 today has shaken the world, with tributes pouring in from fellow musicians and fans.

The Back To Black star, who has very publicly struggled with drug and alcohol addictions, was found dead at a residence in Camden this afternoon.

Singer Rihanna: "Dear God have mercy!!! I am sick about this right now! I am genuinely heartbroken about this. Dear Amy."

Singer Pixie Lott: "R.I.P Amy Winehouse. Such a talent you will be missed."

QI host Stephen Fry: "Oh lord. Just heard the news of Amy Winehouse's death. Poor unhappy creature."

Singer Boy George: "I cannot contain my sadness and my anger about Amy Winehouse. Rest in peace child, it is a deeply sad day for many reasons!"

Singer Alexandra Burke: "Omg Amy Winehouse. I am so so sad... My heart goes out to her family. She was so talented and such a lovely lady. May her soul rest in peace. Gone too soon and so young."

Life Stories presenter and former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan, who was one of the first to comment on the news: "Such desperately sad news [about] Amy Winehouse. Supreme natural talent, terrible self-destructive addictive personality."

Singer Jessie J: "The way tears are streaming down my face. Such a loss. RIP Amy. Man.... Something tells me that we'll be talking about Amy in 30 yrs time in the same way we tlk about other music legends who's lives ended early."

Radio 1 DJ Fearne Cotton: "Can not believe the news. Amy was a special girl. The saddest news."

Presenter Phillip Schofield: "Just heard the sad news that Amy Winehouse has died. At only 27 what a terrible waste of a great talent. Sincere condolences to her family."

Former Spice Girl Emma Bunton: "Such sad news about Amy Winehouse. My thoughts are with her family."

Singer LeAnn Rimes: "RIP Amy Winehouse. So sad to see such a talent gone and her life end in tragedy. This makes me terribly sad."

Sarah Brown, wife of former Prime Minister Gordon Brown: "Sad sad news of Amy Winehouse - great talent, extraordinary voice, and tragic death, condolences to her family."

Singer Olly Murs: "Oh god! Terrible news about amy winehouse I've just seen reports over her death! Such an amazing talent! Thoughts go out to her family!"

Rapper Tinchy Stryder: "Sad news man! My thoughts go out to her family & Friends. R.I.P Amy Winehouse."

Singer Nicki Minaj: "Please tell me Amy Winehouse didn't die. Is this some sick joke?"

Friend and TV personality Kelly Osbourne: "I can't even breath right my now. I'm crying so hard. I just lost one of my best friends. I love you forever Amy & will never forget the real you!"

Celebrity Rehab star Dr Drew: "So sad, another lost to addiction. A reminder this is often a fatal condition. Recovery is possible, but sadly not for Amy Winehouse."

Model Kayla Collins: "Its scary what drugs & alcohol can do to your life... So sad that Amy Winehouse passed away, at 27 years old!"

Footballer Rio Ferdinand: "Just woke up to news that Amy Winehouse has been found dead....such sad news, such a great raw talent, a shame it had to end this way."

Singer Natasha Bedingfield: "I'm so sad to hear about Amy Winehouse just dying. My heart and prayers go out to her family. Such a terrible loss for us all."

Singer Ricky Martin: "I just found out. I feel pain. I feel anger. Rest beautiful girl rest. You are free! RIP Amy."

Actress Marlee Matlin: "Just read...Amy Winehouse died. Shocking that such a young but troubled talent died. Tragic. Thoughts with her family. RIP."

Siva Kaneswaran of The Wanted: "Very sad news. May her soul finally rest in peace. Feel so privilege to had met such a talent just a few days ago. RIP Amy."

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver: "Such a terrible shame to loose Amy Winehouse. Such a talent, such a waste, raw talent."

Singer Lily Allen: "It's just beyond sad, there's nothing else to say. She was such a lost soul, may she rest in peace."

X Factor contestant Katie Waissel: "I can't believe it. In total shock, heart's broken. All my love & thoughts to Amy's family. You're true beauty talent & soul will shine on forever."

Emmerdale actor Lyndon Ogbourne: "Unbelievably sad, sad news - Amy Winehouse was found dead at her flat this afternoon. Argh!!! I want to cry! You were an amazingly talented woman! It breaks my heart...Remembered for your beautiful soul."

X Factor boyband One Direction: "We are all really sadden to hear the recent news about Amy Winehouse. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this sad time."

Presenter Davina McCall: "Amy Winehouse found dead at her home. So very very sad. A huge talent."

Celebrity Juice funnyman Leigh Francis: "I use to live near Amy Winehouse. Only ever met her once but she was very nice and polite. Called me Mr Francis. Sad news."

Oritse Williams of JLS: "I can't believe what i've just been told! Amy Winehouse you are one of my all time music heroes! You are now in a better place...times like this remind me why its so important to live live to the fullest!! Amy Winehouse you will be a legend in all out hearts!"

Model Katie Price: "Omg how sad. Amy Winehouse been found dead. Tragic. My thoughts are with her family."

X Factor contestant Lloyd Daniels: "One tweet today, dedicated to one amazing singer, Amy Winehouse I will miss you. Rest in Peace!"

X Factor winner Joe McElderry: "So sad about Amy winehouse!! People should have stepped in and helped the poor girl! Such a talented girl."

Rochelle Wiseman of The Saturdays: "Wow, RIP Amy Winehouse. Musical legend. Jessus!!"

Television personality Calum Best: "Poor Amy, must have had so many demons to go out like that. Hopefully at peace now. RIP Amy Winehouse. Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends."

Presenter Denise Van Outen: "So sad Amy Winehouse is dead. Her music will live forever. A great artist of our generation."

Reality TV star Kim Kardashian: "I just heard the news that Amy Winehouse passed away. What a true talent. I pray she's in a better place & at peace."

Actress Demi Lovato: "Amy Winehouse.. So sad. Unfortunately the world lost an incredibly talented woman to such a powerful disease... addiction."

American Idol host Ryan Seacrest: "Sad to lose Amy Winehouse - incred talent. Both @LadyGaga & @OfficialAdele say Amy paved way for them."

Singer Katy Perry: "RIP Amy Winehouse. May she finally find peace."

Actress Jessica Alba: "So sad about Amy Winehouse - she was so talented. Really tragic."

JLS member Marvin Humes: "I was fortunate enough to meet Amy about 8 years ago when she was promoting her Frank album..still one of my fave albums of all time. I was only listening to it in Portugal last week. One thing I remember Amy saying to me was to keep writing music...that will stay with me forever now. Amy, Rest In Peace."

Burlesque artists Dita Von Teese: "Please someone tell me the news about Amy Winehouse isn't true. Devastated. I spent extraordinary times with Amy. She sang for me once for hours, it was the most beautiful& touching thing. A huge loss. She was the closet thing we have ever had to Billie Holiday, she was a true soulful talent. I'm so sad. I hope she is at peace."

R&B star Usher: "I'm so sad to hear the horrible news of Amy Winehouse's death. I'm so happy I knew you Amy...Rest Well. Gone Too Soon...we'll miss you!"

Singer Michelle Branch: "So gutted to hear about Amy Winehouse. I was just listening to her last night and we were talking about how we hoped she would get well. RIP."

Actor David Boreanaz: "RIP Amy Winehouse. Tragic loss at such a young age."

Actor Alec Baldwin: "Amy Winehouse. How sad."

Actress Demi Moore: "Truly sad news about Amy Winehouse. My heart goes out to her family. May her troubled soul find peace."

Saturday Night Live star Seth Meyers: "Years ago [Jason] Sudeikis told me Winehouse's "Valerie" was as good a start-the-day song you'll hear. He was right. I'll miss her."  Credit: Digital Spy

Please post your own tributes to the singer below.

more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive